Feb 28, 2024
The Educational Technology Master’s program provides classroom teachers, technology coaches, and instructional designers with innovative ways to integrate relevant technology with sound pedagogical practice. Our master’s program is designed for educators who are excited about the potential technology offers for increasing student learning. Our students want to extend their skills for implementing relevant technology-enhanced activities in their own learning environments.
The Educational Technology Program is designed for working professionals who are interested in both creative exploration and practical application of digital technologies. Our focus is always on giving students tools and strategies that they can use right way in their own learning environments. We also understand that every school has different types and amounts of resources, so we can explore a wide variety of technology tools with an emphasis on low-cost or free resources. Our graduates will be prepared to:
- Optimize the use of active learning techniques via relevant technology tools
- Take existing curriculum and transform it for a contemporary student audience
- Design and teach online, hybrid, or blended courses
- Serve as a peer technology coach for colleagues
Our students are busy professionals who need to make the most of every minute, so we have designed a curriculum that allows students flexibility, provides practical assignments, and gives easy access to personal coaching and support.
The curriculum focuses on the discerning use of technology tools to increase student engagement, motivation, and active learning. Masters candidates are encouraged to leverage their learning for immediate applicability; course projects require students to apply new skills to discipline-specific content needs. The program helps educators:
- Apply technology-enhanced educational practices in and out of the classroom
- Prepare to evolve with rapidly changing educational and technological landscapes
- Understand the structure and function of educational technology systems
Program Learning Outcomes
The Educational Technology master’s program has six program outcomes. Upon completion of the MA in Educational Technology, students will be able to:
- Using knowledge of human cognition, multimedia learning theory, and digital design principles, students will plan and create multimedia instructional materials that enhance their professional or educational practice.
- Students will create products (radio-style audio story and a multimedia screencast) that demonstrate their skills at multimedia production.
- Create a ready-to-implement course or unit re-design based on a blueprint plan that details scope and sequence, formative and summative assessments, plans for feedback, and a clear protocol for communication and workflow via an LMS. The re-design must transfer a traditional course, unit, or program to a flipped, blended, 1:1, or completely online environment.
- Students will design and create a professional website that will serve as their connection hub with other educational professionals. The website will include a blog, a multimedia gallery, a teaching philosophy statement, teaching/professional background, and relevant social sharing links.
- Students will apply design-thinking to address issues of social justice within the field of educational technology.
- Students will create their professional identity, connect with other educational technology leaders, and reflect on their learning and practice as an educator in the digital age.
Educational Technology is a 30-unit Master of Arts program. The course requirements for the MA are:
Major Requirements (30 units)