The Department of Chemistry offers a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Chemistry with three different concentrations: Biochemistry, Medicinal/Synthetic, and Standard Chemistry. All three concentrations provide excellent preparation for those seeking admission to medical, dental, pharmacy, or other professional schools. Students pursuing any of these three concentrations can elect to obtain American Chemical Society (ACS) certification.
- Provide programs of instruction which lead to the BS degree and which enable students to begin either a career in science or to pursue a higher degree.
- Transmit to students a rigorous understanding of fundamental chemical concepts and techniques.
- Encourage the development of a mentor relationship between the student and his or her faculty advisor.
- Structure opportunities within the department for students to gain practical experience with a wide variety of chemistry instruments and to learn how to interpret data obtained from them.
- Help students obtain chemistry-related work experience prior to their graduation.
- Encourage each student to collaborate with a faculty member on a research project.
- Develop students’ abilities to communicate ideas in chemistry to general audiences and to specialists.
Curriculum samples for our major and majors with tracks are posted on our myUSF website.
Curriculum Samples ►