Kalmanovitz Hall (1927/2008)
Formerly Campion Hall, the reconstructed Kalmanovitz Hall, renamed in recognition of a major gift from the Paul and Lydia Kalmanovitz Foundation, houses classrooms and faculty offices; 45 academic programs, five centers and institutes; advanced labs for language learning, writing, media, and psychology; and conference rooms and lounges.
School of Education Building (1930)
Formerly Presentation High School, the School of Education Building was acquired by the University of San Francisco in 1991. The School of Education has fifteen general-purpose classrooms, an art studio, and a science laboratory as well as the Presentation Theater. The theater seats six hundred. The School of Education’s faculty and administrative offices are located in this building.
Lone Mountain (1932)
Formerly San Francisco College for Women, then Lone Mountain College in 1968, the Lone Mountain Campus was acquired by the University of San Francisco in 1978. Lone Mountain houses the Conference Center, the Ricci Institute, the Handlery Dining Room (named for its benefactor, Paul Handlery), classrooms and offices, a residence hall for 180 students, and the Pacific Wing residence hall for 30 students. Other administrative offices at Lone Mountain’s Rossi Wing include University Advancement, Provost’s Office, and President’s Office. Included in this acquisition was the Underhill Building, which houses ROTC and Upward Bound. Enrollment Management, the Admission Offices, Enrollment and Financial Services, Human Resources, and other student support services moved to Lone Mountain in 2005-2006 after major renovations.
Gleeson Library (1950) and the Geschke Learning Resource Center (1997)
Gleeson Library houses books, periodicals and microfilms as well as the Donohue Rare Book Room. The library honors the memory of the Rev. Richard A. Gleeson, S.J. (1861-1945), in recognition of his 25 years of dedicated service to the University and to the citizens of San Francisco as prefect of St. Ignatius Church, spiritual counselor, and friend to the poor. The Charles M. and Nancy A. Geschke Learning Resource Center and the Rev. William J. Monihan, S.J., Atrium opened in September, 1997. Dr. Geschke, a USF trustee, and his wife, Nancy, took a leadership role in the funding of the Center. The late Rev. William Monihan, S.J., was a beloved member of the Jesuit community and dedicated his life to enhancing library services at USF.
Toler Hall (1955)
Toler Hall was established as a memorial to Burl Toler. Toler Hall provides housing for 450 students, and houses the University Ministry.
Memorial Gymnasium (1958)
The gym is a tribute to the USF alumni who died in military service to their country. The Athletic Department is housed in the gym.
Ulrich Field (1958)
The athletic field used primary for baseball was named in memory of Max Ulrich, who left his estate to the University because he believed that USF embodied the traditions of his beloved San Francisco. Benedetti Diamond is named for long-time coach of USF baseball, Dante Benedetti.
Fromm Hall (1959/2003)
Formerly Xavier Hall, this building was erected in 1959 as the home of the USF Jesuit Community, and was named for St. Francis Xavier, Spanish apostle to the Indies. In 2003, it was renamed Fromm Hall in recognition of Alfred and Hanna Fromm, founders of the Fromm Institute for Lifelong Learning and major benefactors to USF. A major gift from the Friends of the Fromm Institute made possible the renovation of the building, housing the offices and classrooms of the Fromm Institute, administrative offices for St. Ignatius Parish, an undergraduate residence hall for 175 students, and classrooms for USF’s visual arts program, Art and Architecture.
The Koret Law Center: Kendrick Hall (1962) and Dorraine Zief Law Library (2000)
The University of San Francisco School of Law’s Koret Law Center comprises both Kendrick Hall and the Dorraine Zief Law Library, which are adjacent to one another across the street from St. Ignatius Church. Kendrick Hall was originally built in 1962, expanded in 1982, and fully reconstructed in 2003. Kendrick Hall houses the law school’s state-of-the-art classrooms and seminar room, student support services, student lounges and food services, and faculty offices. Its modern, light and airy feel make it one of the finest law facilities in the country.
The Dorraine Zief Law Library, constructed in 2000, is primarily a research library housing nearly 350,000 volumes and volume equivalents of Anglo-American legal materials. Over half the collection is in micro format and most of the collection does not circulate. The library is a selective California documents depository and houses some legally-related U.S. federal government documents. The building is fully equipped with the latest technological infrastructure to support the USF Law School teaching mission well into the 21st century. Carrels and tables are wired for portable computer use.
Lone Mountain North (1963)
This residence hall underwent seismic and expansion work in 2004 that resulted in additional space that now houses the offices of both Accounting and Business Services and Information Technology Services. The residence hall is home to 154 students.
Gillson Hall (1965)
Gillson Hall is named for George B. Gillson, former regent of the University and a Knight of Malta, whose generosity provided needed construction and scholarship funds. Gillson Hall provides housing for 325 men and women on alternate floors. The offices of the Counseling Center are located on the ground floor of Gillson Hall.
Harney Science Center (1965)
Classrooms, science laboratories, faculty offices and the administrative offices of the College of Arts and Sciences are located in this building. The name commemorates the generosity of the late Pauline and Charles L. Harney to the University and their lifelong friendship with its Jesuit community. Mr. Harney was a regent of the University and was responsible for many campus improvements.
Hayes-Healy Hall (1966)
Hayes-Healy Hall was built through the benefaction of the late Ramona Hayes Healy and John F. Healy, as a memorial to their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph P. Hayes and Mr. and Mrs. Richard Healy. It provided the first resident accommodations for women students on campus and now houses 350 students.
University Center (1966)
This five-story building is a major center of campus life. Four of its five floors were completely architecturally redefined and renovated in 2010. University Life, ASUSF (undergraduate student government), student activities offices, the Foghorn student newspaper office, Crossroads coffeehouse, Market Cafe, Outtahere take-out food service and store, Career Services, and Residence Life are all located here.
Cowell Hall (1969)
Cowell Hall is named in memory of Samuel H. Cowell, San Francisco businessman and philanthropist. A grant from the Cowell Foundation made the completion of this building possible. It houses the School of Nursing and Health Professions, the Learning and Writing Center, and the Instructional Media Department along with Media Studies labs and classrooms.
Negoesco Stadium (1982)
The soccer stadium is named after Stephen Negoesco, ‘51, who coached USF championship soccer teams from 1961 to 2000. The soccer field was converted to synthetic turf in 2006 and renewed in 2010.
USF Koret Health and Recreation Center (1989)
On the former site of, and including a portion of, St. Ignatius High School and then Loyola Hall, the Koret Health and Recreation Center was opened and dedicated in 1989. It is named for the late Joseph Koret and his wife, Susan, who took a leadership role in funding the center. The facilities include Hagen Gym, the Swig Pavilion, and the Rev. Charles W. Dullea, S.J., Natatorium. It is the home for USF’s intramural sports programs, exercise classes, weight rooms, and a boxing ring and gym.
Loyola House (1999)
Loyola House was built for the University of San Francisco Jesuit Community. It houses 25 Jesuits. There are four guest rooms and the Chapel of Our Lady of Monserrat whose benefactors are USF emeritus trustee Robert Granucci and his wife, Muriel.
281 Masonic (2000)
This building was the original Presentation High School and in later years Lincoln University. It was leased and completely renovated by USF in 2000 and was home to the College of Professional Studies until their merger with the School of Business and Management in 2009. The Sisters of the Presentation retain their presence in the building with offices on the third floor. USF’s Department of Performing Arts and Social Justice, the Office of Contracts and Grants, and the Leo T. McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good, share the first and second floors of the building with classrooms, faculty offices, and various administrative offices.
Pedro Arrupe Hall (2000)
Named after the former Superior General of the Society of Jesus, Pedro Arrupe Hall is a leased building located on 6th Avenue and Anza Street, which is approximately one mile (1.5 km) from the main campus. This hall accommodates 110 students.
Loyola Village (2002)
Loyola Village is a modern housing complex at the University of San Francisco. Located on Anza Street between Masonic and Parker Avenues, this 136-unit apartment complex provides housing for students, faculty, and staff.
Malloy Hall (2004)
Malloy Hall headquarters the School Management, consisting of the McLaren School of Management and the Masagung Graduate School of Management. The building is named for USF Board of Trustees member Thomas E. Malloy, and houses administrative and faculty offices and state-of-the-art classrooms and encompasses space originally an addition to Phelan Hall in 1973.
101 Howard, The Folger Building (2011)
USF purchased the historic Folger Building at 101 Howard St. in downtown San Francisco in 2011. Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, and located within walking distance of where USF first opened its doors in 1855 on Market Street, purchase of the Folger Building marked a return to the university’s origins in downtown San Francisco. The School of Management’s graduate programs, and associated classrooms and offices, are located in this building.
John Lo Schiavo, S.J. Center for Science and Innovation (2013)
This new state-of-the-art science building, in the heart of campus, has 11 new teaching labs, 6 classrooms, and can house 500 students at one time within its 60,000 square feet.